Wheeler Airlines, St. Jovite, Quebec, and Wheeler Northland Airlines, St-Jean, Quebec
Wheeler Airlines played a large part in the early history of Forest Protection Limited. Together with Skyway Air Services, Wheeler supplied the first TBMs to the spray program (1958 to 1967). A biography of founder Frederick H. “Tom” Wheeler can be found at The Québec Air and Space Hall of Fame site, and is reproduced here:
Tom Wheeler (1894-1991) at the age of 6 moved from New York State to Saint-Jovite in the Mt. Tremblant Provincial Park region of the Laurentian Mountains 80 miles northwest of Montreal. His family operated the famous Gray Rocks Inn on the shores of Lac Ouimet which catered to the hunting and fishing crowd. Thinking of the plane for the transport of tourists on their domain, the Wheeler family chartered in 1921 an Avro 504K from the Canadian Aerial Services in Cartierville.
The following year, Tom Wheeler formed Gray Rocks Air Service. At the beginning, the company operated a small Curtiss JN-4 biplane. Throughout the years, the company got larger, adopting in 1946 the name of Wheeler Airlines. The fleet of Travel Air, Junkers, Fairchild, Norseman, Stearman and the other bush aircraft of the first years, grew more and more with the addition of DC-3s, DC-4s, C-46s and Cansos.
In the 1950’s, Wheeler Airlines had become one of the biggest bush operators in the country and was under the supervision of Managing Director Bob Rychlicki. The Chief Pilot of the Spray Division was George Lovatt. In 1953, Wheeler Airlines, as prime contractor, was put in charge of organizing the entire New Brunswick spruce budworm operation, which at the time used Stearmans as sprayers, over an American company. Canadian operators had objected to the use of the more experienced Americans, claiming that they too had acquired enough experience to play a larger role.
Wheeler supplied Avengers to the budworm spray program from 1958 to 1967 using Avengers purchased from the Royal Canadian Navy in 1958.
Thinking of retirement, Tom Wheeler sold the heavy division of his fleet to Nordair in 1960, keeping the light transports for hunters and fishermen. The new name was Wheeler Airlines (1960) Limited. Finally, in 1967, Wheeler sold the rest of his air operations to Power Corporation. Retired, Wheeler continued to be interested in aviation, sitting on the Board of Directors of Canadian (Okanagan) Helicopters. Of a modest and private nature, Tom Wheeler was recognized as a perfect gentleman.
The Original Wheeler TBMs
All of the Wheeler’s TBM registrations followed a strict alphabetical and numerical order.
|BuNo||Reg’n.||Tail #||SOC RCN||Colour||FPL #|
In 1958, Wheeler Airlines supplied seven Stearmans and seven Avengers to the spray program [Wheeler Air Lines Ltd., Maintenance Division – Budworm, Progress Report, April 28, 1958]. The Avengers were six operational and one spare (CF-IMU, the untanked aircraft). The report states that the Avengers “are being converted by Fairey Aviation, Dartmouth, N.S. and are scheduled for completion by May 15.”
Wheeler Northland Airways
Wheeler Northland Airways Ltd. was formed after Tom Wheeler sold his interest to Power Corporation. Based in St. Jean, Quebec and at the Montréal International (Dorval) – Montréal-Trudeau Airport (formerly called Dorval Airport). Wheeler Northland supplied TBMs to the spray program from 1968 to 1970. All were eventually sold to Evergreen Air Services in 1970.
|Tail #||Reg’n.||Crashed||1958||1959||1960||1961||1962||1963||1964||1965||1966||1967||1968 WN
||1969 WN||1970 WN
|500||FIMQ||Jun 1, 1958||✓✓||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|502||FIMS||June 12, 1960||✓✓||✓||✓✓||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|503||FIMT||May 2, 1963||✓✓||✓||✓✓||✓||✓✓||x||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Total Wheeler TBMs in NB + Que||6||0||6?||5?||5||4||4||4||4||3||2||4||4|
|Total Wheeler TBMs||8||7||6||5||5||4||4||4||4||4||4||4||4|
|Total All TBMs in NB||12||0||20||24||14||6||28||19||22||13||7||26||27|
Evergreen Air Services
George Lovett, Operations Manager of Wheeler Airlines, formed his own company, Evergreen Air Services, in Quebec, in Roxboro and Pierrefonds, and bought the last four TBMs from Wheeler Northland in 1970. Two crashed and 2 were sold to FPL. Evergreen also had an office in Upper Blackville, NB, which is located southwest of Miramichi, halfway between Miramichi and Boiestown, in the neighbourhood of the Dunphy Airstrip.
Since FPL was not a licensed aircraft operator, an agreement was made with Evergreen Air Services Limited whereby Evergreen would “dry lease” the FPL TBMs and operate them under contract for the 1975 season. The formalities of FPL becoming a fully licensed operator were not completed prior to the 1976 season, thus dry leasing continued for another year. On 12 May, 1977, FPL was granted an Operating Certificate, which meant that dry leasing was no longer necessary. [FPL Annual Reports]
|506||FIMW||Jun 10, 1975||✓✓||✓✓||✓✓||✓✓||✓✓|
|507||FIMX||Jun 7, 1974||✓✓||✓✓||✓✓||✓✓||x|
|Total Evergreen TBMs in NB + Que||4||4||4||4||3|
|Total Evergreen TBMs||4||4||4||4||3|
|Total All TBMs in NB||45||44||18||20||32|
Evergreen also owned a hangar at the Fredericton Airport, which was leased to Woodlands Aviation Limited, which conducted the maintenance of FPL’s aircraft under contract. FPL leased the hangar commencing 1 August 1985, and proceeded to carry out renovations for offices to accommodate headquarters personnel.