C-GLEQ N7015C / Johnson #D7 #A7 FPL #A7 / Bu# 85854

Warbird Registry
Aerial Visuals

Early History

United States Navy. TBM-3E. Construction #: 2673

Johnson Flying Service, Missoula, MT

#D7 #A7 N7015C 1963-1974

N7015C Johnson #D6
Johnson N7015C flying as #D7, probably early 1960s. Image from Flypast August 2016, p. 92, from the article “Glory Days: Mobbed”, p. 92-93.

Aerial Spray Program – NB
1971, 1972 – Pilot Komberec. 1974 – Johnson Flying Service sold #A7 to FPL.

Jay Sherlock photo of #A7 in Montana, 1973. [Scalefirebombers]

Forest Protection Limited, Fredericton, NB
#A7 C-GLEQ 1974-1977

Aerial Spray Program – NB
1974 – FPL purchased GLEQ in 1974 from Johnson Flying Service, Missoula, Montana, then dry leased it from Evergreen Air Services of Montreal. Did not fly for FPL in 1974. 1975 – Dry leased. Pilots Green and Gummer. 1976 – Dry leased. Pilot Potter.

Dick Potter + TBMs_Rod Snider
Dick Potter near TBM aircraft. Page 297 in Smith, Steve, 1988, Fly the Biggest Piece Back. Rod Snider photo.

1977 – Crashed 23 June 1977 PM. TBM #A7 C-GLEQ piloted by Richard “Dick” Potter and owned by FPL (out of Dunphy Airstrip) caught fire on final approach to Dunphy when returning from an evening spray mission, having sprayed the complete load without incident. The aircraft crashed into the Southwest Miramichi River near the end of the runway, killing the pilot instantly.

Smith’s history of Johnson Flying Service (Fly the Biggest Piece Back) includes an abbreviated version of an article (“Dick Potter would not have changed places,” pg. 278-279) he wrote in The Missoulian on 26 June 1977 about Dick Potter’s crash of TBM #A7 in the Miramichi River beside Dunphy Airstrip while several Johnson TBMs were spraying budworm for FPL. This Johnson TBM had recently been sold to FPL, and was registered as C-GLEQ. Here are some passages from the article:

Thursday, presumably, had been a day not unlike many others in the lives of [Ray] Green and Potter. The two — along with Bill Deming, another former Johnson TBM pilot who had been with Greene and Potter in Maine four years and 19 days earlier — had been spraying mornings and evenings. The day’s last run had been made and, as Deming told Missoula pilot Jack Hughes in a telephone conversation Friday, the three were returning to their base, … Dunphy airstrip.

Deming landed and taxied off the runway to allow Potter to land. Greene was still in the air but within sight of the strip. Potter was approaching the runway and, from Greene’s vantage point, things appeared normal.

Suddenly, with Potter’s TBM still several feet off the ground, heavy smoke belched from near the front of the plane. Deming, seeing the smoke from the ground, shouted to Potter on the radio, telling him to get the airplane on the runway.

Although his reasons will never be known for sure, Potter chose another course of action. Gunning his airplane’s 1,950-horsepower Wright engine, he pulled out of his approach. He was banking left, presumably to make another approach, when the TBM stalled. The plane flipped over and plunged into the Miramichi River, according to an AP [Associated Press] account. Potter’s body reportedly was recovered about 1 a.m. Friday.

The plane that carried Dick Potter to his death was, according to his wife, his favorite TBM. Its N number was 7015 Charlie, its Forest Service designation A7 in the years it was flown by Johnson pilots. Jack (Hughes) called Alpha Seven “Dick’s plane,” Mrs. Potter said. “He’d flown it for 12 years for Johnson’s.” … Potter had logged more that 1200 hours in it, both in spraying and fire-retardant work.

Johnson TBM GLEQ
A picture on the last page of Smith’s revised edition (1988: pg. 305) shows a ground-level close-up of Potter’s TBM lying upside-down on the bank of the Miramichi River.
TBM #A7 GLEQ at Fredericton in 1977.
TBM #A7 upside down at the Upper Blackville Bridge in the Southwest Miramichi River near the end of the runway at Dunphy, June 1977.
Close-up of #A7 upside down in the river.
Dunphy airstrip from air, June 1967
The Dunphy airstrip in June 1967, looking south towards the Upper Blackville Bridge over the Southwest Miramichi River, the site of the fatal N7015C crash.

More crash images have recently surfaced, posted by James R. Greene, son of pilot Ray Greene, to ‎Forest Protection Limited Alumni on 26 Oct 2016.

Posted by James R. Greene to ‎Forest Protection Limited Alumni on 26 Oct 2016. Jonathan Nichols replied: I watched Dick’s crash from directly above that day…it still haunts me to remember…R.I.P.
Posted by James R. Greene to ‎Forest Protection Limited Alumni on 26 Oct 2016.

3 thoughts on “C-GLEQ N7015C / Johnson #D7 #A7 FPL #A7 / Bu# 85854

  1. Dick was my uncle, was a hero to me, and a main reason I entered into aviation as a career. I had just finished A&P school in Helena, Montana when I heard of his crash. RIP Uncle Dick. Kent Potter ATP2198365CFII, A&P, DPE

  2. I was supposed to be Mr Potter’s fire patrol spotter that summer out of Helena Montana.
    I was really looking forward to meeting him as all Johnson pilots were heroes of mine. Received my commercial license at Johnsons from Jack Hughes.
    Joe Marsh took his place that summer flying the State’s C-180

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s